NHS Guidance Mission Statement
The Northview High School Guidance department is committed to preparing all student for life’s next step through comprehensive academic, personal, and post-secondary guidance in collaboration with staff, parents, and community.
ATTENTION SENIOR PARENTS
Financial Aid staff from Grand Rapids Community College will be here to assist parents and students in completing the FAFSA. The date and time for this great opportunity is Thu., Nov. 16th from 6:00-8:00pm in the High School room #’s 1203/1204. A brief overview of the process followed by individual assistance will be offered. You will want to bring the following with you:
- 2016 IRS Federal Tax Return
- 2016 W-2 Forms
- Social Security Cards (or other resident documentation)
- Driver’s License
- Current bank account balances
- Current business/investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stocks, bonds and other investment records.They also encourage you (and your student) to apply for your FAFSA ID and password ahead of time. You will receive assistance on this as well if needed. The following You Tube video demonstrating this is also helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7ihhGk8mCYChromebooks will be available (sign-in using student Google account) or your own personal device can be used.
ATTENTION JUNIOR PARENTS
Class of 2019 Junior Meeting PowerPoint
Mr. Michael Kapustka (firstname.lastname@example.org)
9th Grade (A, B-BL, H, I, J, W, X, Y, Z)
10th Grade (A, B-BL, H, I, J, W, X, Y, Z)
11th Grade (A, B-BL, H)
12th Grade (A, B-BL, H)
Mr. David Witucki, Department Chair (email@example.com)
9th Grade (BO-G)
10th Grade (BO-G)
11th Grade (BO-G)
12th Grade (BO-G, Exchange Students)
Mr. Dion Charity(firstname.lastname@example.org)
9th Grade (K-P)
10th Grade (K-P)
11th Grade (I-P)
12th Grade (I-P)
Mrs. Sarah Gammans (email@example.com)
9th Grade (Q-V)
10th Grade (Q-V)
11th Grade (Q-Z)
12th Grade (Q-Z)
|Mrs. Chris Atchison, (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Mrs. Fernanda Hendee (email@example.com)
Requesting Transcripts: 616- 361-3433
Current Students: Request transcripts through your Family Connection account
CollegeBoard/Khan Academy test prep link: https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org
Sat. March 25th–8am Free Practice SAT exam (Media Center)
MME–April 11-13, 2017
CollegeBoard/Khan Academy test prep link: https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-10
Industry Visit–April 12, 2017
- CollegeBoard/Khan Academy test prep link: https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-8-9
NHS Academic Information
NHS Curriculum Guide for 2017-2018
- FRONT PAGE, general info.
- PAGE 2 graduation requirements
- PAGE 3 grading, class rank, emp., grade level, e2020, Parentvue
- LAST PAGE athletics, clubs, etc.
- PAGE 4 guid. services, sched. change, test out, etc.-1
- PAGE 5 testing, MME, Dual enroll, EDP, homebound
- PAGE 6 NCAA, NAIA-1
- PAGE 7 Career Pathways
- PAGE 24 SPECIAL EDUCATION, MISC. ELECTIVES
- PAGES 8-24 course descriptions
- LAST PAGE athletics, clubs, etc.
TALK & TOUR CAREER SERIES
A variety of career paths will be highlighted throughout Kent ISD’s Talk & Tour Career Series this year. These career exploration events are like getting 5 job shadows in one! Come hear directly from a panel of professionals, ask your career questions, and tour the employer’s workspace. Parents are encouraged to attend! Designed for 7-12 grade students. Spots still available: GR Symphony, Meijer Pharmacy, Cherry Health and more! Click here to register and for the complete 2017/2018 schedule Just added: Careers in the field of Mental Health, May 8, 2018
MEET THE RECRUITERS EVENT – Health Careers
Planning on a future career in health care? This is your chance to get “insider information” on the job search process directly from local hospital recruiters! Come learn how you can set yourself up for success. The format will be a moderated panel-discussion with an opportunity for your questions. All facilities are hiring! Tuesday, March 27, 2018, 3:30 – 5:00 PM. Held at the Kent Career Technical Center, 1655 East Beltline NE, GR – Auditorium. RSVP is required. Click here.
JUMP START TO CONSTRUCTION
Are you gifted in using your hands to create, build or fix things? Are you ready to graduate and need training and a job?
Offered by the Construction Workforce Development Association (CWDA) of West Michigan, The Jump Start Program teaches the basic skills to be successful in the construction industry, including basic construction math, intro to blueprint reading, how to use hand and power tools. Students (18-25 year olds) will also earn several industry certifications. There is a strong career development component to this program, so come discover the right hands-on path for you. Applications are available on February 1st and due by March 1st. Jumpstart 2018 will take place full-time in the month of June at GRCC MTech center. Check out all the details at the Jump Start- Construction page.
PATHWAYS TO POLICING
The Boys & Girls Club of Grand Rapids and Grand Rapids Police Departments have launched an amazing program called Pathways to Policing. It is a 12-week program that happens on Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6PM – 8PM where students are immersed with law enforcement. It is open to students ages 13 – 20 and is completely free (a $5.00 charge to be a BGC member).
Here is some key dates:
· February 2, 2018 – Applications are due
· February 5, 2018 – Kickoff / information session for participants will be held at Boys & Girls Club
· February 12, 2018 – Pathways to Policing Program begins