Northview Public Schools welcomes non-resident students through two Schools of Choice programs. The program you apply for is determined by the county you live in.
Enrolling your student
Enrollment is not currently open.
Key Points For Both Programs
– If your student is selected, we will do our best to place your child at your requested school. However, class sizes may require an alternate placement.
– Placement may be denied for students who have been suspended, expelled, or convicted of a felony.
– Once accepted into Schools of Choice (SOC), there is no need to apply every year as long as you reside in a qualifying district.
– Transportation is the responsibility of the parent.
– The MHSAA requires new SOC students in grades 10-12 to wait one full year after enrollment to be eligible for participation in athletics.
Kent ISD Collaborative Schools of Choice Program
Northview Public Schools participates in the Kent Intermediate School District’s Schools of Choice program. This plan is open to all families residing within one of the 20 Kent ISD school districts. Students are eligible for the Kent ISD Choice Plan, regardless of grade level, ethnic background or student ability. The only limits on movement between school districts are the space available in the desired district or the Choice student’s suspension or expulsion record.
APPLICATION PERIOD: April 8, 2019 – May 10, 2019 at 4 pm (application will be posted on April 8)
If more applications are received then spaces available, a lottery will be held at 8 am on Monday, May 13, 2019 at the Administration Building (4365 Hunsberger NE). Notification of acceptance (or denial) will be mailed no later than Wednesday, May 22. The deadline for parents to notify Northview of acceptance or refusal is June 3, 2019.
– ONE APPLICATION per student, per year may be submitted to ONE school district. You may indicate a 2nd choice and a 3rd choice on your application. If you apply to more than one district, you may be disqualified for all districts that year.
– If more applications are received than openings are available, there will be a random lottery drawing for all applications received prior to the deadline. If your application is not selected by your first choice district, they will automatically forward your application to your 2nd and/or 3rd choice districts. Waiting lists will be created at choice districts after the lottery/random draw and parents will be notified if spaces become available up until the first day of school.
– Accepted students must agree to comply with choice district’s policies.
– According to the Michigan High School Athletic Association, students accepted into the Schools of Choice program who are in grades 10-12 will not be eligible to participate in sports for one full year.
– Transportation is NOT provided for Schools of Choice students. Parents must provide their own transportation to and from school IN A TIMELY MANNER for children accepted for enrollment through the Kent ISD Collaborative Schools of Choice Plan.
– After you are accepted via Schools of Choice, you will be allowed continuous enrollment in our district until graduation or until you withdraw from Northview at which time you may return to your resident district.
School-age students living in the same household as previously accepted students under the Schools of Choice Program and students currently attending Northview via a Sec 6 Student Release will be assigned to open slots before a random draw begins.
– The only limits on movement between school districts for an applicant to the Kent ISD Collaborative Schools of Choice Plan are the space available in the desired district and/or the Choice student’s suspension or expulsion record
105C Schools of Choice Program
Updates coming soon!
Northview Public Schools participates in the 105c Schools of Choice program. This plan is open to all families residing within the Allegan, Barry, Ionia, Montcalm, Muskegon, Newaygo and Ottawa ISDs. The only limits on movement between these intermediate school districts are the space available in the desired district, the Choice student’s suspension/expulsion/felony conviction record and for special education students an approved cooperative agreement.