12 Aug Personal Network Device Policy
Personal network devices may be used in Northview Public Schools in accordance with the following policy. This policy is designed to protect the guest and the Northview Public Schools Network. Network access is available through the guest wireless network. This guest wireless network operates parallel to the existing Northview Public Schools wireless network and may be accessed by any wireless device. This guest wireless network provides filtered Internet access and related web-based services only. This Internet access will operate with the same Internet filter that school devices currently use.
Each time someone accesses the guest wireless network they agree to the terms listed below. If you wish to use the guest wireless network at Northview Public Schools, please familiarize yourself with the information below.
- Personal network devices include any privately owned networkable electronic device.
- Northview Public Schools will not be held liable for any damage that may occur as a result of connecting to the guest wireless network or any electrical power source.
- Northview Public Schools will not be held responsible for any damage, loss or theft of the personal network device.
- The guest wireless network is provided as is with no warranty as to usability for a particular purpose. Northview Public Schools will not be held liable for any disruption of service.
- Northview Public Schools reserves the right to inspect, at any time, any personal network device while connected to the guest wireless network. Northview Public Schools also reserves the right to disconnect any personal network device from the network for any reason without notice in order to protect the integrity of the Northview Public Schools Network.
- Guest wireless network access is provided for filtered Internet access and related web-based services only. Personal network devices will not be allowed access to Northview Public Schools printers, servers, user files, or user home directories.
- Personal network devices may be connected exclusively to the guest wireless network in Northview Public School buildings in the areas where this coverage is available.
- Illegal, destructive, harmful, or any other inappropriate activities including but not limited to computer hacking, harassment, accessing offensive/obscene materials, or engaging in illegal activity are strictly prohibited.
- Any person using a personal network device must abide by the Northview Public Schools’ Acceptable Use Policy while connected to the guest wireless network or on school property.
- The owner of the device is exclusively responsible for how the device is used.
- The owner of the device is exclusively responsible for the configuration of the device. This includes network configuration. Northview Public Schools is not responsible for providing technical support for personal network devices.
- The owner is exclusively responsible for the security of the device.
- Student use of personal network devices in the classroom setting will be at the discretion of the classroom teacher.
- The device must not interfere with the normal function of Northview Public Schools’ Network or other wireless devices.
- No mobile device may be used as a portable Wi-fi hotspot while on school grounds.
- The device must have the latest security patches for its operating system installed.
- The device must be running anti-virus software with the latest virus definition files.
- The device must be free of spyware, adware, worms, viruses, Trojan horses, and peer-to-peer software.
- The device must be used as a client only and may not run server related services including but not limited to web hosting services, email services, or proxy services.
- The owner of the device, or in the case of a student their parents and/or guardians, agrees to be responsible for and to reimburse Northview Public Schools for any damage that may be caused by the personal network device or use thereof while connected to the guest wireless network.